Howl-O-Ween Safety Tips!
Avoid the many tricks out there for a safe and happy holiday!
1. No Chocolate! Keep the candy bowl away from your pet! All forms of chocolate, and especially dark and baking chocolate, are poisonous and potentially lethal.
2. No Sweetened “Treats”! We know you want to spoil your pup, and we want them to have a great spooky season, too. But even non-chocolate human foods can be bad for Bingo. Candies with the sweetener xylitol are bad for your pup’s blood sugar, and have been known to cause seizures in super sensitive pups.
Treat Tip: Better safe than sorry! Don’t give your pets human Halloween candy. Stick to doggie treats, not tricks: Rawhide bones, favorite nibbles, and maybe a bite of peanut butter.
3. Pumpkin Problem. It’s decorative gourd season! But it’s best to keep your pets away from pumpkins and corn you use for décor. Small pets can get majorly sick to their stomach if they nibble, and large pets can also have gastrointestinal issues, including blockage. And, of course, avoid candlelit Jack-O-Lanterns anywhere near paws, tails, or whiskers!
4. Do A Costume Trial Run! If your pet is getting into the spirit of Howl-O-Ween, you might want to put her in a costume. Do a trial run a few days before the big event, to make sure there’s no allergies or discomforts. Make sure you keep an eye on safety, and keep restrictive clothing at a minimum. For those who refuse the “Boos”: Bandanas are a great alternative to puppy costumes!
5. Safety First! Make sure your pet is properly tagged and all identification information is up to date. Best to have it on his collar, even if he’s microchipped. Be mindful of leash laws, and have a safe and happy Howl-O-Ween!
Cats On Halloween
Outdoor cats should come inside for the big day. Neighborhood children and other little ghouls can’t be trusted with your precious pet! Let outdoor cats be completely outside several days before and after Howl-O-Ween. If you have a garage they can take over for the big day, even better. Safety first, and then your kitty’s comfort!